Adele's 21 is 1! We celebrate one year of the album that has just equalled Oasis & Queen's chart record
Adele's 21 is one today! Since its release on 24 January 2011 - via that performance at the Brit Awards (above) - it's been the Tottenham singer's world and we just happen to live in it. Scarier still, 21 shows no signs of slowing down either. At the weekend (22 January) the long player enjoyed its 20th non-consecutive week at the top of the UK Album Charts, equalling a record set by Oasis and Queen. In an era where album sales are dropping and the popstar/celebrity identikit is so prescribed we have trouble telling them apart, the success of a true London girl on indie label XL Recordings should not be under-estimated. If you want proof, here's 21's year in numbers...
- Rolling In The Deep is the UK's most watched and liked music video of all time, clocking up 218,197,486 views (well, yesterday when we checked) so far on YouTube
- There 9329 covers of Someone Like You on YouTube and counting...
- Amazon.co.uk recorded a 890% sales boost just an hour after Adele's performance of Someone Like You at last year's Brits (above)
- 21 has spent 16 weeks at at the top of the Billboard Album Chart in the US, equalling a record set by The Titanic soundtrack
- Adele was the first UK act to sell over a million downloads of a song in the UK, while Rolling In The Deep clocked up 5.8m downloads in the US within a calender year of its release
- Adele is also the first act since The Beatles to have two singles and two albums in their respective UK Top Fives
- Apparently around 450 tweets per hour mention Adele
- 18 copies of 21 are sold every minute in the UK
- Adele has earned £6m personal wealth according to The Sunday Times Rich List
- Not bad considering XL boss Richard Russell suggested giving away 21 for free before its release, only to be rebuffed by the singer because the idea "made me sick".
- Not there will be any deluxe editions cash-ins either. "I fucking hate that shit, fucking desperados!" says the singer. "B-sides don't make a record because they're shit, D'youknowhatImean? Just muggin' off your fans!"
- 21 and related tracks saw Adele win two Q Awards last year, the most by a single artist
- So what does 21's creator make of its success? Simple, Adele is taking it in her stride: "Aw, it's not even surreal any more!"
Happy birthday, 21!
10:24 AM | 24/01/2012
More Photos Of:
Mars Volta's acrimonious split? The future of At The Drive-In? As he launches new band Bosnian Rainbows the hardcore hero speaks
Get your questions in by 4pm on Monday (27 May)
Jamie Skey rounds-up this week's releases and the best new songs that have appeared online in the last seven days... (20 May)
Noel Gallagher wins Ivor Novello award, Thom Yorke scores tax documentary, Franz Ferdinand return with new album... Music News Daily
A round-up of all the news, views, interviews and cool music things online today (17 May)
With their Great Escape show this week (18 May) and further UK dates, the New York punk are in a gig booking mood...
Here's what's going on sale this week...